8.14.2013

Cam Sur (August 11-13)

 

 

After 9 long lost years, I had set my foot to Bicol again. Since my mom died in 2003, visiting this place had been basically off my mind - far, obnoxious, pain-filled idea. This place had been everything I could associate to letting go, memories, goodbye, abandonment.  But 9 years wasn't lost to vanity, it catches up to hearts' desires and replace all these with better memories and acceptance. As I felt the air hugging me with that unusual coldness, I knew I was fine now. I was excited to reconnect with my mom's memories, my early childhood spent in mountains here, and her absence that brought me here again with this rosy feeling.
 


Everything was damp when we arrived in Tara, thanks to the drenching rains from Typhoon Labuyo, walking without knocking was made impossible. It was really muddy and slippery that you would wonder how I was able to take photos while walking. To satisfy your imagination, I did trip off and land on all fours on a muddy ground; my slippers were torn, legs were very sore from all the slipping and sliding and attempts to control. My sister (who surprised me because she pretty managed the tedious walking and all) was there to support me by laughing her lungs out before extending her hands. Except for my feelings being bruised by embarrassment, I wasn't seriously hurt though. :)

 
On the first day, we stayed in my tita's house in the barrio. It is surrounded by beautiful flowers, standing near a stream where I courageously took a bath twice. Hihi. At night, a baylihan was held. It was a disco-like party where boys ask girls to dance with them, in exchange, girls were expected to receive gifts - in any form - from them. I didn't go but I received something though.

On our second and last day, we visited my old folks, my mother's parents. They greeted us with smiles and tears and lots of heartfelt hugs. I saw my titos and titas and their children I've lost track of for years. It was a hell of catching up, I used my one week energy for an hour of lively, emotional conversations with them. Math says it wouldn't be enough to cover 9 years! But neither were millions of hours. We're just happy for everything.

 
 
Leaving was especially difficult for me, though. I held my tears which were so ready to fall when it's time to utter the inevitable goodbye to lolo and lola. I would have let it fall if I knew that they can manage to see me cry but no, I won't give them such feeling, so I gave them my warmest and sweetest hug instead and said adieu without looking back. Okay, I looked back when I knew that they wouldn't see me anymore. Then, I finally sobbed.

I am about to share more photos (even personal ones - pictures of my old folks and beautiful baby cousins) from my Bicol trip on my instagram account: cherryilsraindrops. Thank you for letting me share this! Jehovah God bless everyone! =)

1 comment: